GEOG332 – Introduction to China
Assignment 4 – News Analysis: the U.S. – China Trade Disputes
In the last four months or so there has been much news about the trade between the United States and China.
The Trump administration has made the deficit with China a major economic and political issue.
Earlier this year, it imposed tariffs on Chinese solar panels and washing machines.
More recently, the United States proposed $50 billion of new tariffs on Chinese imports in addition to 25% tariffs on imported steel and 10% tariff on aluminum in order to pressure China to further open its market and stop certain “illegal” practices.
In the meantime, China responded by imposing tariffs on U.S. soybeans, pork and many other products that could disproportionately affect Trump’s political base.
The uncertainty and the threat of a trade war between the world’s two largest economies has rattled the stock market.
For this assignment, you need to first read recent news reports about the U.S. – China disputes and then write a critical report about the dispute.
Examples of the issues you should address include:
- What are the key issues in U.S.-China disputes?
- What main goods does the U.S. buy from China?
- What does the U.S. sell to China?
- How could a trade war with China affect the U.S. economy?
Points to keep in mind:
- The news reports you read should be recent, for example, from the last half a year or so.
- I encourage you to provide your own views about U.S.-China trade and how it affects you.
- Please give your report an appropriate title. An introductory paragraph and a brief concluding section would be nice.
- Also cite your sources at the end of your paper.
- Your essay should be around 5 pages long, but feel free to write as long as you like.